PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Internet gateway as time source

Warichet
05.08.06, 09:46
Hello,

I undestand that an Internet gateway can be connected to the Internet and eventually use ntp to synchronize it's internal clock.

Could this clock be used on the EIB bus as time source instead of a hardware clock device ?

Thanks
Raymond

Matthias Schmidt
05.08.06, 09:49
Yes, of course, if the internet gateway provides this function.

The Homeserver 2, which acts as an internet gateway, too, can do this.

Warichet
05.08.06, 11:27
Yes, of course, if the internet gateway provides this function.
Thank you for taking the effort to reply in english. I can read 80% in german, but my writing is ... terrible.

So, if I get you right, by buying an Internet gateay with ntp, I can save the price of a clock. Mmmm

Yes
This is a kind of Rolls, I love Rolls, but don't have the money. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives

Thanks again
Raymond

Warichet
19.08.06, 09:48

OK
Any idea about the number of time channels supported ? I mean, how many different associations could we do ? unlimited ?

Also, which version of Linux is running on the HS2 ? I hope NOT to see Linux, just a user interface.

I was first discouraged by the price of the HS2, but if I consider I have to buy an Internet Gateway, a Time Source and some multifunctions modules anyway, the HS2 comes back more attractive.

Thank you for your comments
Raymond

Gaston
19.08.06, 10:19

Only to make sure there is no missunderstanding: As internet Gateway between EIB and Internet, not between an internal Network and Internet. So it cannot replace such a gateway.

So, if I get you right, by buying an Internet gateay with ntp, I can save the price of a clock. Mmmm

Caution with this assumption:

It its not enough that the gateway has NTP functionality, bascially it must have NTP client AND Server functionality (most routers only have the client functionality)
In the case of Homeserver, it does not use NTP anyway, it uses "timeserver" protocol, so the gateway will have to have a timeserver (not NTP server in this case)
You will still need a device like the Homeserver to bring the time to the EIB, which in turn can synchronize directly from the internet anywayBest regards,
Gaston

Warichet
19.08.06, 13:05
As internet Gateway between EIB and Internet, not between an internal Network and Internet.
OK, that was already clear in my mind

In the case of Homeserver, it does not use NTP anyway, it uses "timeserver" protocol, so the gateway will have to have a timeserver (not NTP server in this case)

You will still need a device like the Homeserver to bring the time to the EIB, which in turn can synchronize directly from the internet anywayIf I get you right, this time: It is enough to have a
Homeserver2 to be able to

go to the Internet (or simply to Ethernet on the LAN and Internet via standard routers)
have a reliable time source on the bus
have that time source synchronized (don't understand exactly how, but OK). Still have an open question about the number of available time channels, most clock devices have a limited number of channelswhich can be used in ad hoc associationsThank you

Schalke05
19.08.06, 13:54
Hello,

... not sure what you mean by time channels?

1. The HomeServer can send his internal time on the EIB, so you have no need for an aditional hardware clock.
2. The HomeServer can synchronize his internal time with any public NTP server in the world (there are plenty). You would need a functional internet connection for that, but you can also manualy set the time on the HomeServer.

But this is just one small functionality beneath of many others the HomeServer provides.

Best Regards,

Olaf

Warichet
19.08.06, 14:53
... not sure what you mean by time channels?
If I refer to my small Hager weekly clock, it has 2 channels, (kanal) that is, it has 2 com obj to do associations with other obj (i.e. each channel can have 12 set points, so with a max of 24 set points for both channels together

But this is just one small functionality beneath of many others the HomeServer provides.

As I sad, I wasn't considering the HS2 due to it's price tag. Now, I'm looking at it from a pure economic point of view, adding the price of an Internet gwy, a clock and a multifunction device and hé hé, it turns out not so bad :-)

Thank you