PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Speakers on/off

eulaersi
14.01.04, 08:37
How can I switch my speakers on/off through an EIB-device without losing any quality?

I'm not interested in changing the volume, only on/off switching.

Best regards

Ivan

savo
14.01.04, 09:32
It depends on what you exactly want to to do:
a) simply switching on/off: use any simple switching actuator and switch only one line of your speaker (normally the + polarity). You cold also switch both lines, but most actuators only have one input for multiple switched outputs.
b) switching more than one speaker: same as a), but keep in mind, that you have to be sure not to overload your amplifier (if speakers are used in parallel).
Using low impedance speakers (i.e. 4 ohm) can generate rather high currents. For a typical 6A actuator the limit is about 150 watts amplifier power (output).

Regards

Stefan

eulaersi
14.01.04, 11:00
Thanks for this info. I was also thinking about a normal switching actuator, but I was afraid that I would hear a loss in quality.

Ivan

savo
14.01.04, 11:28
OK, of course this depends on the level of quality of your hifi equipment. The relays being used in EIB actuators can also be found in amplifiers (speaker A/B). For a high end approach you will use cablings with more than 2.5 mm² and you will try to avoid any additional length of cabling and/or additional switches. --> NO switching on the power side.
If you have a cable between a preamplifier and the poweramplifier you could also short-circuit the audio signal with the actuator but only with a serial resistor to protect the output of the preamplifier. You will have less (next to no) loss.

Or what about that: use your remote control and switch the mute button with the EIB actuator? It will work properly, if you can switch off with “mute” and back to “on” with a different button (i.e. source).

Lots and lots of ideas …

What kind of application do you have?

Regards

Stefan

mats
15.01.04, 19:28
Original geschrieben von eulaersi
How can I switch my speakers on/off through an EIB-device without losing any quality?

I'm not interested in changing the volume, only on/off switching.

Best regards

Ivan

Perhaps you could try to switch them off using the remote control for your amplifier. There are IR solutions for EIB. Perhaps you can get an IR transmitter and try to figure out, which sequence you will have to send.

Then you will not have to put anything between your amplifier and your speakers.

just an idea ;)

mats

eulaersi
16.01.04, 08:49
Thanks for the idea. But I will be using a speaker selector so I can have 3 or 4 pair of speakers connected to my amplifier.

So far I haven't found a speaker selector that supports IR.

Best regards

Ivan

savo
16.01.04, 11:33
Hi Ivan,

In this case, any 8 channel actuator should fit. They often have 2 sets with 1 input each and 4 separate outputs. Unless you are using 100V amplifiers (PA-systems) you must be sure not to generate an impedance that is to low for your amplifier (worst case: all outputs on = 4 speakers in parallel). If you want to be sure that only one output is active at the same time, you can
a) use a function module (expensive!!!) or
b) have a relay on each output, where the first active output blocks all of the remaining relays

The advantage for solution b) is:
- it is cheaper (you need only 4 output channels of your actuator, as the switching itself is done by the relays)
- you can select relays which will fit for the job (max. current, contact material …)

BUT: It will take more space (1 actuator plus 4 relays), cabling and can be noisy, depending on the type of relays that you chose.

Regards

Stefan

OStein
16.01.04, 17:35
here's one...

http://www.smarthome.com/8152.html (http://http://www.smarthome.com/8152.html)

Combine this with the Gira IR transmitter and you should be all set... :)

Cheers,
Oliver